This video demonstrates how to properly use Magnaflux’s M-Series current generators--adaptable mobile power packs that offer a solution to testing immobile parts by bringing the magnetizing station straight to the part.
Steps to Perform MPI with the M-2030, M-2040 or M-2060
- Connect the unit to the appropriate voltage.
- Flip the disconnect switch on the back panel to turn the power on. This activates the light indicator on the front panel.
- Push the on/off button on the front panel. This enables all remaining circuits to be activated.
- Connect 4/0 cables of appropriate length to the copper bus bar with appropriate hardware.
- Set the magnetization tools in place. Method of magnetizing is dependent on part and direction of current desired:
- Cable wrap method – The cable wrap allows longitudinal magnetization.
Wrap three loops of cable around the part. It is important to make sure that the connection points of cables do not come in contact with the part to be tested.
The cable wrap will need to be done in multiple sections for longer parts.
- Prods method – Prods allow circular magnetization.
The prod with the trigger button needs to be connected to the remote-control receptacle on the front panel.
Next, connect the 4/0 cable to both prod handles by plugging in respective either-ends. A magnetic leech could be utilized to free one hand.
The prod must make good contact with the part—improper angle or unstable holding can result in sparking and possible burn marks.
- Central conductor method – Current running through a copper rod generates a circular magnetic field.
Even when the central conductor is placed at the bottom of a bore, the magnetic field is still strong enough to magnetize the outside surface on the opposite side.
- Set the current. Select the current type by pressing the button for AC or HWDC. Use the current output adjustment knob to set the amperage.
Optional: Push the pulse button to activate the option to generate six shots of 1.5 seconds duration, with 3 second pauses.
- Push the mag shot button on the front panel of the power pack to generate a current flow. The amperage will be displayed on the digital amperage display, and this value will be saved until the next magnetizing shot.
- Push the demagnetization button to initiate automatic demagnetization accomplished by decaying alternating current.
The easily transportable M-Series units make magnetic particle testing much more accessible and adaptable for your various needs.